Before hiring accountant for your business, shortlist accountants then contact each of the shortlisted accountants and find these points.
- Specialisation: Ask what services they provide and if they offer similar service that you are looking for and if they have experience to help you with your particular needs and if you need to pay for a more specialized service.
- Customer Service: If they have a good customer service i.e. promptly responding to your phone calls and emails.
- Fees: What are the charges involved and when do you charge?
- Registered: Is your accountant registered, if you are going to do your tax returns? This can be checked in tax and BAS agent register. Or if they have an AFS license or an authorized representative of an AFP license holder, if they are providing investment advice? This can be found in financial advisers register.
- Qualified: Are they qualified? Are they a member of professional association (such as Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Certified Practicing Accountants Australia) and have a tertiary qualification? Professional associations have a power to resolve conflict if you have any issues with your accountant.
Once all the questions have been answered, you will be more confident in choosing the accountant.
Still not sure about hiring accountant for you business?